Thursday, August 27, 2009

Kruizer Gets Suspended

As a parent, whenever you get an unexpected call from school, your heart skips a beat. Is everything OK? Did someone get hurt? Or, what did they get themselves into this time? I'm happy to report, I've never gotten a call saying one of my children was in some sort of trouble...that is until today.

Who thought that child would be about 2 1/2 ft. tall, have a soft blonde coat, the most impressive puppy-dog eyes and floppy ears. Yes, today, I got a call from school asking me when I could pick up "the dog." Turns out today at recess, while he was in a down-stay, Kruizer decided to do a little socializing with a dog he spotted across the school grounds. He slipped out of his collar and ran off to greet his new friend. And if that weren't enough, he then caught sight of a tennis ball. Being his favorite thing in the whole wide world, and already feeling his oats, he decided he would just join in on a game of catch. Whoops.

As my son described the situation later, I had to chuckle. Too bad the teachers and principal didn't see the humor as I did. I guess the whole scene caused quite a commotion on the playground, leading to our furry friend's stint in the Principal's Office.

As a result, I have agreed to keep Kruizer home for now -- at least until we can step up efforts on training (yes we will be at all the Sunday trainings from now on!) and working with distractions. Service doggy boot camp, here we come.

1 comment:

  1. I've read about service dogs for autistic children. I'm going to follow your blog to learn more. I don't think my son will need one, but I'm still fascinated with service dogs. I read about dogs for the blind when I was in elementary school and have be interested ever since.

    ReplyDelete